Monday, May 16, 2011

La Feria de Abril, I mean Mayo...

Hola tod@s! I have 2 final exams tomorrow, but no te preocupes, I'm going to study soon. Just wanted to update everyone on one of the coolest weeklong holidays I've ever encountered... FERIA!

Okay so in American terms, Feria (or Feria de Abril) is a HUGE fair that comes to Sevilla every year usually in the month of April but always atleast 2 weeks after Semana Santa. However, since Easter was so late this year, "Feria de Abril" was actually in May. (The running joke said it started the 32nd of April lol)

So, what do you do at the Feria? Great question. Feria is basically a huge celebration of the Andalucian culture, including but not limited to: Flamenco dancing (particularly Sevillana), Flamenco dresses, Flamenco music, Singing, Drinking Rebujitos, and lots of fried fish and tapas... Next question, What are "Rebujitos"? Another excellent question. These are possibly one of the greatest drinks I've ever had... It's a slightly unproportional mix of lots of Manzanilla (White wine from Andalucia) and a bit of 7up. Delicioso!

Of course, after much influence from the Rebujitos, everyone becomes a Flamenco dancer at the end of the night (by end of the night I mean around 6:30am when the Feria closes)

Throughout the fair ground there are hundreds of tents, called "casetas" where rich families and organizations set up for private parties where you must be on a list to get in. There are a couple casetas publicos but everyone knows the private parties are better. Luckily, through a connection of a friend of my intercambio, I was able to get into private casetas both nights that I went.

Aside from private tent parties, there's also a half of the fair grounds dedicated to attractions and games, for the kids of course. Ferris Wheels, roller coasters, flipping boats, you name it. It was all there. Hope you enjoy the pictures:

La Portada de Feria, it changes every year

Daniel & I on the Ferris Wheel

Some fun and games :)

Those are all of the casetas

Surprisingly enough, I played twice & got 2 out of 3 both times :)

Quite Sevillana, don't ya think?

The group on Feria night #2



I thought I'd leave you with some friends performing drunk flamenco dancing, enjoy :)

Besos xx
Catalina

No comments:

Post a Comment